Our building was first erected in 1895 in the Golden Square Mile, a neighbourhood developed between 1850 and 1930 at the foot of Mount Royal, in the west-central section of downtown Montreal.
In 1929, Café Martin, one of Canada’s Finest French restaurant, opened its doors. The neighbourhood was then made of architectural audacity, grandeur and elegance that was once never seen before in Canada. The owners and operators of the overwhelming majority of Canadian rail, shipping, mining, fur and banking industries consisted of a small group of about fifty men who called the Square Mile 'home'. From about 1870 to 1900, 70% of all wealth in Canada was held by this small group.
By 1983, only 30% of the mansions in the northern half of the Square Mile had survived demolition; and only 5% survived south of Sherbrooke Street.